Independence Day is a holiday well known for big parties, outrageous behavior, and the use of alcohol to “celebrate”. As you walk the path of sobriety, it may be a day of stress and temptation, but there are ways to prepare and prevail. The Orange County detox and rehabilitation team at Fresh Start of California understands that it is best to be equipped before you celebrate so that you can remain sober and in recovery. You can enjoy the fourth of July and stay sober. Our tips and ideas below can help.
10 Tips for Sobriety on Independence Day
- Start the day with a meeting. Attend a morning meeting on the fourth of July so that you start your day off right and with a strong foundation.
- Make plans with sober friends by attending a sober party or hosting a sober event.
- Practice accountability by asking your sponsor, friends, or family to check in with you throughout the day.
- Drive yourself so that you know that you can leave a location if you need to and know that you can choose what you do.
- Have an exit strategy. Go into events with a plan, just in case you need to leave. Consider explaining to the host that if you need to leave, you will do so according to the best plan for your recovery.
- Focus on the food. Keep your mind and hands busy by putting yourself in charge of the barbeque, the desserts, or the appetizers so that you have something to pay attention to other than the drinks.
- Bring a cooler of non-alcoholic drinks. Be sure to have plenty of alcohol-free drinks available for yourself and others who are staying sober. If you have a drink in your hand, others will be less likely to offer you an alcoholic beverage.
- Celebrate Independence Day with an activity. Rather than going to a party, go to the beach, a sporting event, a hike, or a parade.
- Have a sponsor on-call or enlist a friend to be available no matter the time or place so that you can reach out as needed. Stay in touch with people who support your sobriety.
- Have confidence in your sobriety. Share your story if someone asks, be proud of the strength it takes to be sober in a world that is often centered around being inebriated.
Celebrate Freedom and Sobriety
Living a life of sobriety is a kind of freedom that only those who live it understand. Part of your fourth of July celebrations can focus on the freedom you have found in recovery and the strength you have in sobriety. With a plan, an on-call sponsor, and a great support system Independence Day does not have to be something you dread. Let our tips be your guide and if you need help in recovery, our team can help.
Fresh Start of California is here for you with Orange County detox and rehabilitation specialists that can create an individual plan for your recovery. Contact our team today and step into the bath of sobriety.