If you suspect a loved one is using drugs, it can be extremely difficult to process. You may undergo confusion as to what to do or how to pinpoint if the new symptoms suggest your loved one is suffering from drug addiction or not.
For this reason, our Orange County detox and residential treatment team has provided a list of signs and symptoms to help you determine if your friend or family member has a drug addiction and needs help. In this list, we will note both physical and behavioral signs.
Physical Signs of Drug Addiction
Physical signs are often the first indicators of drug addiction. Some of the most common symptoms include:
- Sleeping issues: difficulty sleeping, being awake at irregular times, falling asleep at irregular times
- Lethargy or excessive amounts of energy
- Loss of appetite or increase in appetite
- Pupils that appear irregularly smaller or larger
- Bloodshot eyes or watery eyes
- Odd body scent
- Slurred speech
- Tremors or decrease in coordination
- Sudden weight loss or weight gain
- Clenched jaw
- Decline in personal hygiene or grooming
- Paleness of the face or a flushed look
Behavioral/Psychological Signs of Drug Addiction
While physical symptoms can be the most obvious, it is important to look for behavioral signs of substance abuse as well. Below are some psychological symptoms of drug addiction:
- Extreme personality change that cannot be otherwise explained
- Change in attendance at school or work
- Change in participation or performance at school or work
- Sudden secretiveness
- Sudden change in hobbies
- Sudden change in groups of friends
- Defensive or combative attitudes
- Irritability or moodiness or sudden outbursts
- Anxiety or nervousness
- Lack of interest in social interactions with friends and family
Of course, not all people who are using drugs will show the same symptoms, and some symptoms may worsen as drug usage grows. Typically, behavior becomes more severe as the person’s focus will increasingly shift to obtaining drugs or their next fix.
Get Help Now! Call our Orange County Detox and Residential Treatment Center!
If you suspect your loved one is using drugs, it is crucial you contact help right away. Waiting to reach out for help can lead to a more severe addiction. By calling Fresh Start of California, you can rest easily knowing our Orange County detox and residential treatment team will provide you with helpful options right away. We are passionate about helping our clients achieve sobriety, and we are ready to stand by the sides of clients’ families as they undergo this difficult time.
Call our Orange County addiction treatment team 24/7 at 833-287-8168 or fill out our contact form online! We are ready to help.