Alcohol Detox in Orange County, California
24/7 Alcohol Addiction Treatment in California
According to the National Institute on Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism (NIAAA), an estimated 16.6 million adults in the US suffered from Alcohol Use Disorder (AUD) in 2013, making it the third leading preventable cause of death in the United States.
At Fresh Start of California, it is our mission to help you or your loved one move past alcohol addiction and into a sober and meaningful life. To do so, our Orange County alcohol detox team provides medical detox solutions as well as mental health activities such as the following:
- Alcohol medical detox to regulate withdrawal symptoms, making the client as comfortable as possible during detoxification
- Counseling sessions to alleviate anxiety, depression, and thoughts of suicide that can occur during or after alcohol detox
- Individual therapy to ensure client feels supported and encouraged during the process of detoxification
- 12-step groups aimed at creating a community of support, encouragement, and meaningful relationships
What is an Alcohol Medical Detox?
An alcohol medical detox is one in which medications and treatments are used to comfort the client as he or she moves through the detoxification process. At Fresh Start of California, our Orange County alcohol detox team uses medications such as the following to help clients remain comfortable throughout the process.
- Naltrexone: This medication blocks the brain’s opioid receptors and reduces cravings and the potential rewards that derive from alcohol consumption.
- Ativan: This is an anti-anxiety medication often prescribed to treat insomnia, epilepsy, and withdrawal symptoms that occur as a result of alcohol detoxification.
- Phenobarbital: This is a barbiturate that targets the central nervous system’s gamma-aminobutyric acid (GABA) receptors and aid in the treatment of seizures and other disorders that occur as a result of alcohol detox.
Can Alcohol Detox Be Unsafe?
In severe cases, abrupt alcohol detox without the use of medications can be dangerous and may cause the following symptoms:
- Excessive perspiration
- Delirium tremens (DTs)
- Heart palpitations
- Digestive discomfort
- Loss of appetite
In less severe cases, a person may be able to detox without the need of medications. However, it is in your best interest to speak with our treatment team about your options.
How Does Alcohol Addiction Begin?
The brain’s dopamine levels increase as a person consumes alcohol, which often results in an increase in self-confidence and lower inhibitions. As alcohol effects wear off, dopamine levels decrease. As a person repeatedly consumes alcohol, the normal dopamine levels in the brain begin to change, and the body becomes dependent on the consumption of alcohol and the increased dopamine levels.
The more a person consumes alcohol, the more tolerant the person’s body becomes, resulting in a larger dependence for alcohol. If the brain’s dependence is not met, withdrawal symptoms may occur, leaving a person suffering from mild to life-threatening symptoms.
What are Indications of Alcohol Addiction?
Constant drinking, heavy drinking, and frequent binge drinking can all be indicative of alcohol abuse and addiction. According to the NIAAA, alcohol abuse may be present if a woman consumes more than 7 drinks a week and if a man consumes more than 14 drinks a week.
What are Other Forms of Alcohol Addiction Treatment?
In addition to medical detox, there are many other ways in which alcohol addiction must be treated. At Fresh Start of California, our alcohol detox team in Orange County believes individual therapy, group therapy, 12-step groups, and the 12-step program are critical to moving through a successful alcohol detox and alcohol residential treatment.
In Need of Alcohol Detox in Orange County? Call Fresh Start of California Now!
Our facility for alcohol detox treatment in Orange County, California is ready to provide you or your loved one with a fresh start. Because we understand the process of finding a treatment center you trust can be difficult, we are here 24 hours a day, 7 days a week to answer any questions you may have. Let us help you reach sobriety.
Call our Orange County alcohol detox facility today at 833-852-3470! We provide a home-like atmosphere to ensure optimal comfort during detox.