Gratitude for Sobriety this Thanksgiving
The biggest trick to having a happy, sober Thanksgiving is to remember the gratitude that is cultivated in your sobriety. As children, we often learn that Thanksgiving is all about remembering and expressing what we are grateful for. What more to be grateful for than a second chance at life? The process of detox and recovery shows you the strength, perseverance, and growth that you are capable of. Sobriety offers you a new view of life, a new chance to live the way that you want to, and a gift of a fresh start. Let Thanksgiving be a celebration of how far you have come and know that you can enjoy the holidays with confidence using the tools you gained in recovery.
At Fresh Start of California, we work with our patients through individualized detox, rehabilitation, and life skill classes so that you are equipped to start a new life with confidence. Our team of Orange County recovery specialists at Fresh Start of California is here to be the professional support you need to create a solid foundation for life in sobriety. We know the difficulties and the challenges that can come with rebuilding your life, but they are far less than living in addiction.
Contact Fresh Start of California for detox and rehabilitation options in Orange County. We are here to answer your call 24/7.
10 Tips for a Happy and Sober Thanksgiving
If you lack the inspiration to enjoy yourself during Thanksgiving festivities, there are tricks to making it through. A sober Thanksgiving maybe a whole new experience, but you can make it a great one if you are prepared and have an open mind. Use the tips below to set the stage for good times and wonderful memories.
- Surround yourself with sober, like-minded people. If you have the choice, bring a sober buddy to family gatherings or go to a sober Thanksgiving event. If you can, make plans with a sober family member to be each other’s wingman for events.
- Avoid high-risk situations like reconnecting with old friends just because they are in town. Avoid family members who are active users or who are toxic to your sobriety. You deserve to have a calm, happy holiday, and have the right to stay away from those who are not supportive.
- Take breaks as needed. Go out for a walk after your meal, step into another room for a quiet moment, or get outside for a breath of fresh air. This is especially important to the stability of your peace of mind when you’re spending long hours inside in a busy environment.
- Seat yourself at the kid’s table! Spending time with your younger relatives is a great way to avoid alcohol at the “adult” table, as well as have much more fun during dinner.
- Bring stress relievers such as essential oils, gum, fidget toys, gadgets, or whatever you use to relax. Quench old habits with safer, healthier options.
- Stick to your boundaries. Remember there is no such thing as “just one” and don’t let anyone try to convince you otherwise. Protect your sobriety with strength and confidence.
- Bring the fun with you. Whether it is a board game, an interactive video game, crafts, or outdoor games, bring something with you that you know you will enjoy.
- Prepare an exit strategy. If a conflict arises or if a gathering gets too unruly, be prepared to make your exit. One bonus to being sober is that you can safely leave whenever you choose!
- Help the host and keep yourself busy. Offer to help prepare a dish, clear the kitchen, set the table, or clean up when everyone is done eating. Occupy your mind and hands, with tasks so that you are not bored.
- Keep a drink in your hand. People are less likely to offer you a drink or ask why you aren’t drinking if you have something to drink already. Dodge invasive questions and stay hydrated by bringing your own healthy, nonalcoholic beverages.
Take the Power Back this Thanksgiving
Rather than view sobriety as a hindrance to a good time or an obstacle to deal with during family gatherings, change your view and take the power back from the substance. Consider yourself lucky that you will remember the memories you make and that you will feel alert and healthy the next morning, and lucky to have the power in your hands. Sobriety is powerful. You can share your gratitude with others and show them that there is a better life after addiction.
If you are ready to battle your addiction and win, contact the team of Orange County rehabilitation professionals at Fresh Start of California. We provide the knowledge, support, and individualized treatment options to give you a fighting chance.
Take the power back from your addiction and call us today.